I put the second coat of paint on the shelving unit. It looks no different to the camera than the first so I will spare you another look…just look at yesterday’s post and imagine deeper color….if you were up close.
We went to Lowes and picked up the special order vinyl plank flooring. It took FOREVER. They were busy and one poor guy had to get the items loaded for everyone and find orders in the receiving area.
Luckily, it was Sunday and I had watched Oprah’s Super Soul Sunday which always brings me zen. Today, was a particular favorite with Dr. Wayne Dyer talking about what life is all about.
So, I waited calmly and cheerfully. The flooring finally arrived but two cartons were significantly damaged. I have lots of cuts to make for this octagonal room with an octagonal hot tub in the middle, so I was happy enough with the 50% off they quickly offered on those cartons.
Here is a peek at the flooring…
Tomorrow, I hope to polyurethane the shelving unit and prepare it for putting the new backer boards on the following day. I may start to lay the flooring but know I will be doing it a bit at a time for some days to come so that I do not get impatient with all the cuts that need to be made.
The flooring was listed as 6″ x 48″ which is how I had planned my layout. I will need to redo that since the actual size is 5 3/4″ wide. Sigh. The math makes my head hurt already! Luckily I ordered plenty extra, knowing I could return excess.
I have been remiss in posting recipes. In fact, my Kindle Fire is storing a number of recipes we have loved but I have not had the umph to post.
This is Sunday, the one day a week that we allow ourselves beef or pork. (Sometimes it slips in at breakfast or lunch on another day…) The Bearded One selected Spicy Italian Sausage. I must say that since we have been using meat from Earth Fare, I love the sausage…no gristle, little fat, great flavor.
We had asparagus as a side (this time cooked for one minute in the microwave with a bit of lemon juice, butter, garlic powder, onion powder and kosher salt) and home fried potatoes. The potato recipe was exceptional!
Homestyle Home Fried Potatoes (O’Brien style) 2 servings
- 2 potatoes
- 1 tsp rice bran oil (you could use another oil, I am using rice bran because it is wonderful to use and is supposed to lower cholesterol)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, seeded and chopped (I used red tonight and a seeded jalapeno that was in the produce drawer)
- 2 tsp rice bran oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Cube the potatoes (1/2 inch). Microwave for 3 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tsp oil over medium high heat. Add onion and green pepper. Cook, stirring often, until soft; about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Pour remaining 2 tsp of oil into the skillet and turn heat to medium-high. Add potato cubes, salt, paprika and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are browned; about 10 minutes. Stir in the onions, green peppers and parsley and cook for another minute. Serve hot.
- Savory Breakfast Potatoes (blissreturned.wordpress.com)
- The Shelving Redo (goingbackwards.wordpress.com)
- The Second Coat (goingbackwards.wordpress.com)