- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup roughly-chopped mushroom (optional)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (7 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1 (16 ounce) can vegetarian refried beans
- 1 1/2 cups of your favorite salsa
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (16 ounce) can regular black beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can black soybeans ( I eliminated this and increased the refried and black beans instead)
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and cubed (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1-2 teaspoon chili powder, to taste
- 2 teaspoons powdered cumin
- 3 tablespoons sour cream (or non-dairy equivalent)
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese or soy cheese
- grated cheddar cheese or soy cheese (to garnish)
- flour tortilla (large burrito size)
- Sauté the chopped onion, garlic, and mushrooms (if using) in olive oil until onion is soft.
- Add the chopped chilies, flatten mixture in bottom of pan and sauté, not stirring, until the onions begin to caramelize a little, then remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, mix remaining ingredients except tortillas.
- To put together the chimichangas, place about 3/4 to 1 cup of filling on a tortilla, fold the bottom over the filling, fold the sides in, then carefully fold/flip it over to close; repeat until you have as many chimichangas as you want to bake at one time.
- Place the chimichangas on a cookie sheet, brush each one with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil, and bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle each with grated cheddar, serve with extra sour cream, guacamole, and salsa, and enjoy!