- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 cup uncooked instant oats
- 1 cup finely chopped mushroom
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup olive, any variety, pitted and chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rice (or other leftover whole grain), lentils, oats, mushrooms, onion, carrot, pepper, walnuts, tomato paste, olives, parsley, soy sauce, mustard, thyme, marjoram, and sage. Mix well. (I added a minced jalapeno)
- Lightly oil an 8″ x 4″ loaf pan. (I used a muffin pan to make individual loaves.)
- Fill the loaf pan with the mixture and pack well to press out any air pockets.
- Bake for 40 minutes, covered. Uncover and bake for another 20 minutes, until lightly browned. (Be sure to check it after 10 minutes uncovered as I found it was already done). Allow to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before slicing. Use a serrated knife to carefully slice.
- Update 3/7/09 from original author: I have discovered that this holds together better if you mash half the lentils. It also helps to add some flax meal and extra liquid (I used V8).